Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Associate Professor Dennis Hugh Murphy (1931-2020)

I had the honour to work as his research assistant for a period of 3 holidays (12 months) during my university years (1993-1995). The experience laid the foundation for the development of my curiosity and passion for Science. 

The jungle is the classroom. We will learn about Behavioural Science, Geography, Dragonflies, and the Natural Environment in Singapore. 

We discovered the largest tree in Singapore, threaded through the Nee Soon freshwater swamp, discovered the underground tunnel in Macritchie, mapped out the remnants of the Shinto Shrine in Singapore, surveyed almost every stream in the Nature Reserves, and shared our views of life. 

I marvelled at the fact that this huge-sized guy could be so interested in small insects such as dragonflies, damselflies, ants and termites. And I learnt how to be kind to insects big or small. 

He bothered to read what I have written about the Mathematical Modelling of the stream systems in Macritchie and Nee Soon swamp forests, and discussed issues related to behavioural science in animals and humans. 

He pulled me out of a quick sand in the Mangrove swamps in the remote areas on Bintan Island during one of our surveys, but not before he took a picture of me trapped in the mud. He saved my life.  

If there is a best educational model in the world, I think I know what it is.

https://news.nus.edu.sg/in-remembrance-prof-dennis-hugh-paddy-murphy-inspirational-teacher-and-outstanding-scientist/?fbclid=IwAR24bh-giRvYKbge3wLk4I0fK7HYegzz2rTtZjz5Iaok8RQRlgoFhKuUFro


No comments:

Post a Comment